Landlords: are you covered for all unexpected costs?
As the landlord of residential or commercial premises, you will need more than just standard insurance to cover all costs that may arise whilst you are responsible for the property.
Professional insurance especially for landlords can provide you with full, comprehensive cover for a whole range of major and minor risks, some of which you may not even have discovered before. These could relate to:
• Professional fees
• Mortgage protection
• Drain clearance and removal of debris
• Accidental damage to underground service cables and pipes
• Ground rent whilst uninhabitable
• Fire extinguishment costs and damage by emergency services
• Unauthorised use of utilities
• Costs of alternative accommodation
• Glass and sanitary ware
• Landlord’s contents
• Personal accident and public liability
• Equipment breakdown
• Legal advice
• Emergency assistance
Despite this extensive list, there are yet many more potential risks and costs you may have to face as a landlord. Rather than worrying about getting cover for each, it is often easier to get a fully comprehensive landlord’s professional insurance policy. As well as protecting yourself and your assets, this kind of insurance will also ensure that you comply with all of your legal responsibilities.
Posted by Philip Heath on March 2, 2011 in News, Property & Landlords Insurance |