Widow wins compensation for husband’s death after employer accepts that exposure to asbestos was likely to have played a part

A widow has won her case against her late husband’s employer, successfully arguing that his exposure to asbestos was due to negligence on their part.

Alan Bickle worked at a Jarrow cigarette filter factory for over 30 years. After contracting mesothelioma in 2008, he died a year later. His wife, June, said that his employer should be held responsible for his death due to the asbestos he was exposed to during his working life. While asbestos is not the sole cause of mesothelioma, prolonged exposure is observed in around three-quarters of all cases.

June Bickle had already received an interim payout earlier this year, but continued her fight, emphasising that it was about highlighting the dangers of the use of asbestos.

“This was never about the money. It’s important that the use of asbestos is highlighted. The company denied it and that made me really mad.”

June has now received a larger settlement after the company eventually accepted responsibility shortly before a hearing in the High Court.

Leave a comment