Two companies have been fined a total of £440,000 by a court in Caernarfon after an employee died in a fire involved aerosol canisters.
Caernarfon Crown Court found that two companies – metal recyclers Deeside Metal Company (based in Chester) and hygiene products maker Jeyes UK – were liable in the death of 37-year-old Mark Wright in 2005.
Mr Wright lost his life after aerosol canisters he was crushing ready for recycling caught fire and caused him to suffer 90 per cent burns.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted the two firms for failing to have proper health and safety measures in place for the highly flammable materials Mr Wright was working with.
Jeyes UK reportedly failed to properly label the aerosol canisters they supplied to Deeside Metal, leading to employees handling partly full, hazardous canisters because they believed them to be empty.
The court also found that neither Jeyes UK nor Deeside Metal Company had carried out the proper risk assessments needed to fully protect their employees. Insufficiencies in health and safety training and staff monitoring were also highlighted.
Both firms – presumably with the support of their employers’ liability insurance – were forced to pay out a total of £440,000 in fines and court costs.